This activity gives you a chance to extend your thinking about four key elements of the novel:
- Gatsby's character
- The shifting moral code of the 1920s
- The American dream
- People who are disenfranchised (deprived of access to the same rights or privileges as the wealthy).
Post two separate messages that each responds to one of the following questions. Remember to be specific in your response and refer to the novel to support your ideas.
- What have you learned about Gatsby's character, and how do you think he gained his millions?
- How does the shifting moral code of the 1920s compare to today's moral code?
- What is your conception of the American dream, and how does it differ from the conception that Fitzgerald seems to be presenting in the novel?
- Who are America's disenfranchised, according to Fitzgerald? In what ways has the quality of life and status of these people improved, and in what ways do they remain disenfranchised?
Take your time and be thorough. This activity is worth 30 points (10 points for each of your two initial posts, 5 points for each of your responses).